Careers Guidance Services
What we support with
The Careers and Guidance Service is available to help you with any decisions related to your future career path. Our experienced team will help you make a well informed and realistic decision about your next step.
The team offers support to all students who are studying with the Derby College Group, including;
- Further Education Students
- Higher Education Students
- Adult and Community Education Learners
We help to clarify option choices and progression pathways. Such as:
- Self-employment and business start up
- Further Education
- Higher Education (University)
- Gap year
We work with you to:
Explore your skills and options
- We help you to uncover possibilities, of what you could do and what is out there for you in relation to learning and employment. Career Coach is designed to help you find a good career by providing the most current local data on wages, employment, job postings, and associated education and training. Access Career Coach.
- Decision-making, working with you if you are unsure and undecided about your career possibilities or if you can’t decide which option is best for you
Develop your knowledge, skills and abilities
- We work with you to identify your strengths, skills and abilities
- We help you to plan, develop and move your career ideas forward
Apply and be successful:
- We help you to find jobs or the right learning and training opportunity for you
- We help you prepare for the application process. This could be helping you to draft a CV, application form or create a social media profile
- We help with Interviews and assessment centres by helping you prepare and practise
- And we help with all the detail associated with options like understanding student finance
The team is here for all students, from those who are looking to start their careers or take career development opportunities to those wanting to change career direction
What we deliver:
Careers support pre entry
The team are present at all information evenings for advice and guidance on your options and course selection
We host online career chats and webinars, advertised on the website
Referrals to our support can be made via the website or the student service helpline
Pre course guidance appointments can be arranged to help you assess what study options would most suit your career plans
Careers information and resources are on the website for immediate access and are aimed at supporting your career decisions.
Career Coach is a programme available to you to help you generate career ideas which link to our courses
Careers support whilst studying at College
- We provide up to date careers information on careers, pathway progression and labour market intelligence. This is available on the website and your moodle site when at college
- Deliver group work sessions on careers and employability topics and via drop-in sessions/requests
- Provide a comprehensive and tailored careers education programme that is delivered by us, your tutors and progression coaches in tutor time
- We organise and work with others to provide career events such as a progression fairs, visiting speakers and visits to employers and Higher Education Institutions
- We provide one to one support in the shape of a careers interviews to address any careers questions you have from wanting to change course, work part time, or consider your future options
- We have specialist careers programmes such as KUDOS, Career Coach and UNIFROG, to support with your option choices and planning plus have an online planning tool and career resources within the College libraries
- We work closely with staff to develop IAG services and provision across the college
Careers support for Parent/Carers:
We are keen to ensure you are kept up to date with careers information advice and guidance in relation to careers information, pathways and the world of work and work
The resources on our website are open for you to view and we are keen to answer any questions you have about careers.
We have a dedicated parents section for parents and carers and will send career alerts to you via our agreed parent communication channels.
Careers Guidance Services
Who we are and how to contact us:
We can be contacted via phone on: 0800 028 0289
Or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When you are studying with us you can book appointments at the Student Services Help desks, directly with us via our email system or our new online booking system and by a referral from your tutor, progression coach or work experience coordinator.
Services can be delivered by email, telephone, skype, TEAMS and in person.
If you have additional support needs that would be useful for us to be aware of please make us aware.
The Careers Guidance Service Team
All of our team are experienced careers advisers and deliver services across the different sites. Support is available daily from the team.Meet the Team
Team Manager for Careers and Guidance Services
Level 6 Qualification in Careers Guidance (QCG), NVQ level 4 Advice and Guidance, Careers Education Diploma, MBTI and is HFEA qualified. Katie manages the careers team and provides support to our Higher Education students, adult and community learners and those on apprenticeships
Level 6 Diploma in Careers Guidance, NVQ Level 4 Advice and Guidance, provides careers guidance services at Broomfield Hall College and Ilkeston Community College
Level 6 Diploma in Careers Guidance and Diploma in Careers Education, provides careers guidance services at The Joseph Wright College
Level 6 Diploma in Careers Guidance, provides careers guidance services at the Roundhouse
and the Joseph Wright Centre
Level 6 Diploma in Careers Guidance, provides careers guidance services at Roundhouse College and the Joseph Wright Centre
Director of Services for Students
Helen is a member of the Senior Leadership Team with responsibility for the strategic direction and operational delivery of all services for students and the Careers Advice Strategy. She is the designated Careers Leader for the Derby College Group. Helen is a qualified careers guidance professional and holds the Level 6 Diploma in Careers Guidance and the Diploma in Careers Education
The Careers Programme:
Our full Information, Advice and Guidance offer is available for you to view here. This reflects all of those services who support our students with information Advice and Guidance (IAG) including the Work Experience Team, DANCOP , Progression Coaches, The Apprenticeship Team, Roundhouse Recruitment and our pre 16 programme. It shows what we do and when with key events and dates identified.
Derby College Careers Programme (PDF)
The student entitlement:
This details our promise to students at the Derby College Group
Careers Education Information and Guidance Entitlement for Students at Derby College (PDF)
The student journey: shows the different stages of career planning mapped against the support we refer to internally and externally
The Careers Education Policy: The college is committed to IAG, please view our policy.
Careers Education and Guidance Policy (PDF)
The Derby College Group is committed to actively maintaining a Quality in Careers Standard Award as recommended in statutory guidance for impartial Careers Guidance. Consequently Career Mark Gold Award was achieved for the fourth consecutive time in June 2018. Career Mark is one of the 12 national awards recognised as a Quality in Careers Standard. In addition The Careers Programme at Derby College adheres to the Matrix National Quality Standards for Information, Advice and Guidance (IAG).
The Derby College Group has established a Careers Leadership Group who meet on a monthly basis. The purpose of the Careers Leadership Group is to oversee the strategic direction and implementation of the DCG Careers Advice Strategy. The group ensures the effective implementation of the Department For Education Careers Strategy (Dec 2017) and good practice Gatsby Benchmarks
The core members of the Careers Leadership Group will include:
- Director of Services for Students (Careers Leader/Chair)
- Team Manager, Careers Guidance Services (Deputy Chair)
- Heads of College/Faculty Head representative
- Head of Inclusion and Support
- Head of Behaviour for Learning
- Assistant Director – Work experience and Employer Partnerships.
- Roundhouse Recruitment and Customer Care Manager
- Apprentice Manager
- Careers Adviser
Derby College Group Student Eco System
The College has a range of support services to enable all students to progress into a positive destination. More about the services available
Working in partnership with Employers
The College enjoys a close working relationship with its partners in order to ensure we provide them with the talent they require for the future.
The College demonstrates high levels of flexibility and creativity in responding to our employers' needs. Our partnerships span our educational offer and include multi-faceted collaborations. Our creation of Employment and Skills Academies supports Students with enriched work experience and internships, access to workplace visits, mentors and guru lectures. Local Advisory Boards, made up of sector-specific employers and stakeholders, enhance the Student experience and ensure effective and successful transition to employment or higher education. The College further supports employers by providing a full apprenticeship recruitment service to meet their individual business needs.
For more information see Employers section