The Corporation is an exempt charity, with the Corporation comprising of 14 governors. We are looking for individuals with a commitment to improving standards in education who can act as ambassadors for the College within a local and regional setting.
You will have the following experience or attributes:
- A personal commitment to further education and the mission, vision, values and aims of the College.
- A commitment to Derby, Derbyshire or the wider East Midlands region and its development. Strategic awareness, experience and understanding.
- The ability to work constructively and as part of the non-executive team, acting fairly and impartially in the interests of the board and the College. Critical reasoning skills and ability to engage in board-level discussions and decision making.
- Board level or Senior Management Background either in a professional or voluntary capacity desirable.
The Corporation meet five times a year, which will include preparing for and attending meetings. In addition, there is an expectation that Board members support the Board by joining one of the Board’s committees (which range between 3-5 meetings a year) and undertaking a link governor role.
Please note this is a voluntary position.
What benefits can it bring?
A full induction will be carried out for anyone joining the Board. Becoming a governor can bring you great personal and professional benefits, these include:
- The opportunity to work with a team of governors and employees in providing educational excellence, championing social mobility and driving economic prosperity.
- Developing professional skills and experience
- Building relationships and networks
- An understanding of the further education sector
- Training in areas such as safeguarding, equality and diversity and health and safety
- A sense of achievement in making a difference to young people, employers, the College’s key stakeholders and the community.
Don’t take our word for it, this is what some of our governors have to say about the role.
For more information or an informal discussion please contact Rose Matthews, Clerk to the Corporation firstname.lastname@example.org
Links to further information
DCG Strategic Ambitions DCG Corporate Strategy DCG Financial Statements 2021-22 DCG Ofsted Inspection Governor Job Description