How to apply
Your step-by-step guide
COVID-19 Application Process
Please Note: Step 8 – 10 are subject to change; but please be assured, that we are here to support you and will update you as soon as information becomes available.
If we are able to arrange events, we will update this page and communicate this information via email, the website and social media.
All applicants should check their email on a regular basis for information relating to your application.
Step 1 - Decide on your career pathway
- Check out Career Coach on the Derby College website. It offers a wealth of information on a broad range of careers, including helpful descriptions of what each job entails and any qualifications you might need.
- Use Kudos – a career matching software program to find out what jobs your skills and interests are best suited to.
- Explore different careers via the ‘job profiles’ section on the National Careers Service website.
- Consider relevant experience you have gained in school and at home and how your interests support your choice.
- Visit the DCG Careers Guidance on the Derby College website https://www.derby-college.ac.uk/student-support/careers-programme
Step 2 - Research your options
- Take time to read information about the course, consider what it would be like to study the option choice and where it may lead
- Speak to a careers adviser or teacher. They can give you advice about your options and where to find more information.
Step 3 - Take our advice
- If you’re still unsure, contact Student Services on 0800 028 0289.
- Student Services can offer you information, advice and guidance to ensure you’re choosing exactly the right study programme to meet your needs and ambitions.
- Derby College Group has a team of Careers Advisers ready to talk to you about your choices and application form, ask the DCG Student Services Team.
- We promise you relevant, up-to-the-minute advice. The quality of the support we offer has been recognised with the IAG Matrix Award and Career Mark accreditation.
- Even if you have your sights set on an apprenticeship, it’s important to apply for a full-time study programme too.
Step 4 - Submit your Application
- There’s no deadline for applications – but the sooner you apply online, the sooner you’ll secure your place.
- Use the Search Courses facility of this website to look up your chosen course – there is an application form on every page.
- Click the Apply Now button and follow the instructions for inTouch
- If you’re making your first application, you’ll need to create an InTouch account.
- If you’re making an additional application, there’s no need to create a new account, just log in.
- If you have any problems submitting your form electronically, contact us straight away.
- If you are unable to apply online, contact Student Services who will help you complete your application form.
Step 5 - Benefit from dedicated assistance
- Once you’ve applied, you can track your application via your InTouch portal
- You will be allocated a Student Services representative.
- They will act as your dedicated adviser, ensuring your application is processed
- Student services will contact you to via email with all updates relating to your application, don’t forget to check regularly (check your spam folder too)
Step 6 – Interview Question
- When we receive your application, we’ll email you inviting you to complete your interview questions / personal statement, you will complete these via your InTouch portal.
- You may be required to complete a telephone interview with a member of the curriculum team
- When you have received your conditional offer from us it will detail the conditions of your offer.
- In some cases, you may be asked to complete some online screening assessments to establish your maths and English skills, this is just to confirm you’ve selected the right course level.
Step 7 - Accept your offer of a place
- Your new online interview will be assessed, we’ll write to let you know the outcome. If you’ve been offered a place, your email will detail the conditions of your offer.
- When you have your conditional offer, you will be asked to accept your conditional offer via the Contact Us section of InTouch.
Step 8 - Prepare for College
- An enrolment pack will be sent to you before you start College containing full details about your enrolment.
- As new information becomes available, we will send you emails relating to exam results, events and support you with further advice based on your results.
Step 9 - Attend our Welcome and Enrolment Day
- You’ll be invited to a Welcome and Enrolment Day at College
- During the day, you will meet with the staff from your chosen area and discuss the course details with them.
- You’ll complete the enrolment process and sign the Student Agreement.
- You’ll receive your Derby College ID card.
Step 10 - Become part of the College
- The first week of term is classed as an induction, including an introduction to your course.
- You’ll download you’re MY DCG app for regular College communication, timetable and the Student Handbook, a Derby College email address and access to our online learning space and Moodle.
- You’ll be introduced to teams who will support you through your time at College and help ensure you achieve a positive destination after your course.