Level 3 Award in Assessing Competence in the Work Environment
Assessing occupational competence is a critical role in education and training.
Course Information for Students
Who is this course for?
Assessing occupational competence is a critical role in education and training and achieving this qualification will ensure quality assurance within the assessment process. It involves supporting students and assessing their work-based competence to enable them to achieve their qualification.
The course will be delivered via workshops and 1-1 tutorials, all on a flexible basis, to suit your needs. Your assessor will visit you in the workplace every three to four weeks and provide advice, guidance and support to enable you to collect evidence to achieve the qualification.
What are the benefits?
- Gain a recognised qualification in assessment, which is required by many awarding organisations
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of assessment and evidence your commitment to this
- Embed best practice in assessment
- Contribute to increased efficiency and effectiveness of assessment within your organisation
- Evidence of a qualification at an appropriate level, and relevant, up-to-date experience in your vocational/subject-specialism
- Be in a position to follow your organisation’s policies and procedures
- Access to at least two students who are completing a work-based qualification (this must be regulated by an awarding organisation)
- Access to an allocated countersigning Assessor/Mentor and a qualified Internal Quality Assurer (IQA) within the area you are assessing so that they can give you further support
What will you learn?
The course design enables you to become an excellent assessor/apprenticeship trainer. It develops your knowledge, skills and professional behaviours. The specific units that you work towards are:
- Understanding the Principles and Practice of Assessment
- Assess Occupational Competence in the Work Environment
How will you learn?
The course will be delivered via 1-1 tutorials, on a flexible basis.
What will you need to bring with you?
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed via an e-portfolio of evidence to prove competency and good practice. This will include you gathering naturally-occurring evidence, which could include professional discussions and observations of assessments you conduct with your learners.
You will implement what you have learnt in the workplace and improve your practice as an assessor. You can develop your skills to enable effective assessment with the new Apprenticeship Standards and End Point Assessment. You will have the ability to reflect on and select appropriate assessment methods to apply in dynamic or diverse workplace environments.
You can also progress to the following qualifications:
- An Internal Verifier Award (IQA) Level 4
- A Train the Trainer course
- A Level 3 Award or Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training, if your role involves delivery to groups of learners alongside your assessing role
- A full teaching qualification, such as Cert Ed or PGCE if your role develops into teaching/training
- A coaching course
- An Advanced Apprenticeship – Assessor-Coach Level 4
Who do you contact for more information?
For more information, contact Derby College Group on 0800 0280289 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Information for Employers
Information for Employers
This course could lead to one of these careers...
Vocational and Industrial Trainers and Instructors
DCG Success Stories
Discover how our students have achieved success. Their hard work and dedication to learning has enabled them to succeed in rewarding careers or progress onto higher education.
We encourage progress and aspirational outcomes by guiding people onto learning pathways that lead to positive destinations. Our students have gone on to achieve great things since leaving the College. We would like to share some of their inspiring success stories with you.
Use our online application form to apply for this course.
Course Information Last Updated On: December 7, 2023 4:27 pm