Certificate for Higher Level Teaching Assistants
The Level 4 Certificate for Higher Level Teaching Assistants is aimed at qualified teaching assistants who wish to progress to a HLTA role.
Course Information for Students
Who is this course for?
Have you worked in learning support for a period of time? Are you passionate about your role in developing educational opportunities for future generations? Are you now supporting teachers and other professionals, perhaps delivering some planned lessons? Would you like to develop your skills and knowledge further and be recognised for the hard work you already do? Do you wish to enhance your expertise in supporting learning and gain a professional qualification? Then this is the course for you.
The Level 4 Certificate for Higher Level Teaching Assistants is aimed at teaching assistants who wish to progress to a HLTA role.
DCG has an excellent track record for high-calibre, inclusive teaching and learning. We strive for excellence and deliver superb lessons, support and feedback as well as continuous professional development.
Completing this course with us gives you a Level 4 qualification, exclusive access to high-quality course resources, library and career development services, as well as a busy Student Union with all the benefits and discounts that come with membership.
A course completed with Derby College Group sets you a cut above the rest. Our reputation for developing excellent teaching assistants is very good, and our pass rate is 100% consistently.
What are the benefits?
- You will develop knowledge and effective skills in handling the challenges that you are likely to encounter
- Your school will secure additional high-quality support for pupils and staff
- Children and young people in education will benefit from effective professional support to maximise their potential
You must be aged 19 or over and have evidence of:
- Usually at least a grade C/4 in GCSE English and Maths
- Employment and experience in a teaching assistant/learning support role – part time or full time – within a school or provider setting (EYFS is allowed)
- The full support of your head teacher/line manager – a supporting letter will be needed at interview stage
- Significant experience in working as a teaching assistant with a range of children and young people
- Capacity to attend College fortnightly for three hours in the evening
- Confidence in using standard IT equipment
- Ability to work at Level 4
Our courses require a minimum of 12 enrolments to run. You will be notified one week prior to the start date if the course is NOT going to run.
What will you learn?
You will develop knowledge, skills and professional behaviours holistically during this course, and use your experience and employment to practise what you learn. Your work in classrooms with children, young people or adults is critical in enabling you to apply theory to practice. Alongside this, you will work towards your Level 4 qualification, thematically studying the following units:
- Professional Knowledge and Development for Higher Level Teaching Assistants
- Child Development and Wellbeing
- Supporting Children and Young People with Special Educational Needs
- Promoting Children’s and Young People’s Positive Behaviour
- Working with Individuals and Groups of Learners
- Positive Working Relationships
- Curriculum Planning, Monitoring, Delivery and Assessment
A Level 4 qualification requires you to engage in academic reading and writing and to adopt Harvard referencing systems. We will support you to develop or refresh your academic writing skills during this course.
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered on-site.
What will you need to bring with you?
How will you be assessed?
A range of assessment methods is used, including group presentations, group tasks, academic posters, written tasks, professional discussions, assessment of skills during observations of your practice in your school, reflective practice, and professional and personal development plans. The assessment methods used are designed for you to experience what your learners may experience, and will build your academic skills, communication and confidence.
Once you have completed the HLTA course, you can:
- Progress in your current job role
- Advance to a Foundation Degree (Teaching Assistants, Early Years, Children and Young People or SEND Pathway)
- Develop a teaching career
There are also other opportunities/courses you may want to progress to:
- Level 2 Award in Specific Learning Difficulties
- Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement
- Level 4 Award in Internal Quality Assurance
- Level 5 Specialist in Teaching Disabled Learners
For those teaching in the FE sector:
- Level 3 Award in Education and Training (14+)
- Level 5 Certificate in Education (14+)
- Level 7 PGCE (14+)
Who do you contact for more information?
For more information, contact Derby College Group on 0800 0280289 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Information for Employers
Information for Employers
DCG Success Stories
DCG TA courses help teacher Inta return to career in education
I’d absolutely recommend the Derby College TA courses.
Engaging lectures from DCG inspired teaching assistant Kirsty
The TA courses were really good. Nicole, our lecturer, didn’t expect us to write really long essays for our assignments. Instead, she asked us to produce posters, leaflets and booklets. It was a great way of engaging us, and, as TAs, it also gave us design and IT tools we could use when lesson planning in our classrooms.
Sophie finds true vocation thanks to Derby College
I wasn’t that confident in my own abilities and didn’t think I was good enough. At school I put my focus into making people laugh rather than learning but as I’ve grown up I‘ve realised the importance of studying, and that it’s never too late. I’m capable of doing everything that’s required of me on a degree course, including the referencing and academic writing. Thanks to Derby College I feel like I can do anything and would recommend the HLTA course 100%.
Training professional Ruth praises Derby College provision
Delivery was exemplary. As I'd already got some of the units I needed, I sought Derby College to deliver the remaining units and accredit the full L4. The tutor visited me for 1-2-1 delivery. The course enabled me to develop and enhance my career with private and further education providers.
New qualification is “massive help” for assessor Aimee
Taking the Derby College course has helped me massively in my job. The course was well structured, the facilities and materials were good and our tutors were excellent. The biggest thing I learned while on the course was teaching strategies, including hints and tips on the different options available. It was interesting to see our tutors demonstrate these options in their own teaching. The techniques and strategies we were taught have been very helpful, both in my work and on a personal level. I thoroughly enjoyed the course and would like to use the credits to continue studying.
Plumbing tutor Shaun passes on skills thanks to Derby College Cert ED
I was so impressed with the quality of teaching throughout my time at Derby College. I enjoyed everything about my course and actively looked forward to my assessments. My lecturers made to feel so welcome – they've been such an inspiration to me and I wouldn't be the teacher I am now without them.
Use our online application form to apply for this course.
Course Information Last Updated On: February 15, 2024 2:46 pm