Level 3 Diploma For Teaching Assistants – October Start
Are you passionate about developing educational opportunities for future generations?
Course Information for Students
Who is this course for?
Are you passionate about developing educational opportunities for future generations? Would you like to support teachers and other professionals to improve educational opportunities for children and young people? Do you want to develop your skills and expertise in your current role and progress to become a Higher Level Teaching Assistant? If so, this is the course for you.
DCG has an excellent track record for high-calibre, inclusive teaching and learning. We strive for excellence and deliver dynamic lessons to stretch and challenge. We will support and guide you with continuous professional development. Completing this programme with us gives you a nationally recognised qualification.
You will have exclusive access to high-quality resources, library and career development services, as well as good links with local schools, and we offer a progression event every year so you can plan the next steps in your career.
What are the benefits?
- You will develop secure knowledge and effective strategies to become an excellent Teaching Assistant
- You will have opportunities to develop your interpersonal skills
- You will develop your ICT skills
- Your school will secure high-quality support for its pupils and staff
- Children will benefit from effective support to maximise their potential
You must be aged 19 or over and have evidence of:
- At least a grade 4 / C in GCSE English
- Suitable experience as a Teaching Assistant (employed or voluntary) prior to starting the course (ideally, three months)
- Access to a minimum of two days per week voluntary or employed work in a supporting role in a school or educational provider setting, with the opportunity to lead small groups of children or young people. This must be in Year 1 or above
- Confidence using standard ICT applications
- Ability to work at Level 3
A DBS will be required in order for you to work/volunteer at a school: you, along with the school, will be responsible for obtaining this.
What will you learn?
Teaching Assistants work in primary, special and secondary/college education across all age ranges and encompassing special educational needs and emotional vulnerabilities. The primary role of the Teaching Assistant is to support the class teacher to enhance pupils’ learning either in groups or individually, ensuring pupils understand the work set, know their learning objectives and stay on task in order to make progress.
Promoting self-belief, social inclusion and a high self-esteem plays an integral part in pupils’ wellbeing, ensuring they thrive in a positive, nurturing, safe environment. Teaching Assistants take an active role in supporting the learner to access the curriculum. They are good role models, act with honesty and integrity, take part in team meetings and contribute to planning and class activities. Promoting Fundamental British Values through spiritual, moral, social and cultural development and positive behaviours is crucial in contributing to improved pupil progress and development.
You will develop knowledge, skills and professional behaviours holistically during this course, and use your work placement to practise what you learn. Your work in classrooms with children, young people or adults is critical in enabling you to develop confidence, understanding and practice. Alongside this, you will work towards your Level 3 qualification, thematically studying the following units:
- Schools and Colleges as Organisations
- Support Health and Safety in a Learning Environment
- Understand How to Safeguard Children and Young People
- Develop Professional Relationships with Children, Young People and Adults
- Understand How Children and Young People Develop
- Support Positive Behaviour in Children and Young People
- Support Children and Young People During Learning Activities
- Support English and Maths Skills
- Support the Use of ICT in the Learning Environment
- Support Assessment for Learning
- Engage in Personal and Professional Development
- Support Children and Young People’s Speech, Language and Communication
- Understand How to Support Bilingual Learners
- Understand How to Support Learning of Children and Young People with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
- Support Children and Young People during Transitions
- Support the Role of Play, Leisure and Extra-Curricular Activities for Children and Young People
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered on-site and is classroom based.
What will you need to bring with you?
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed through a range of methods using Microsoft Teams Assignments. This includes individual and group presentations; group tasks; written tasks; professional discussions; assessment of skills during observations of your practice in your school; reflective practice and continuous professional development.
Assessment is continuous and is designed to develop your academic skills, communication and confidence.
Once you have completed the Diploma, you can:
- Progress in your current job role
- Progress to a Level 4 Certificate for Higher Level Teaching Assistants (HLTA)
- Advance to a Foundation Degree (Teaching Assistants, Early Years, Children and Young People or SEND Pathway)
Who do you contact for more information?
For more information, contact Derby College Group on 0800 0280289 or email@example.com
Course Information for Employers
Information for Employers
This course could lead to one of these careers...
DCG Success Stories
Italian TA Melissa fulfils long held ambition to work in education
All my college tutors have been fantastic. I can rely on them – they’ll always help me if I have any questions.
Being a stay-at-home mum leads Lyndsey to her true vocation in teaching
I was quite nervous about the first session as I’d been out of education for quite a while, but my lecturers, Nicole and Emily, were so supportive and understanding
TA Padraig couldn’t be happier in his job or on his college course
We all support each other. College is just such a happy place to be. I’m the only male on the course but that hasn’t mattered at all.
Use our online application form to apply for this course.
Course Information Last Updated On: November 1, 2023 1:59 pm