Certificate in Counselling Skills
This qualification is designed to give you the underpinning knowledge, skills and competencies to use counselling skills ethically and safely in a variety of contexts and roles.
Course Information for Students
Who is this course for?
It is for those who:
- are starting the first level of training as a professional counsellor
- want to learn counselling skills in other professional or helping roles
- want to improve their professional and personal relationships as part of their personal development
To undertake this qualification, you are required to have first completed the Level 2 Award in Counselling Skills.
You must also be:
– able to cope with the course content
– motivated to develop as a helper
– emotionally stable
– aware of difference and diversity
– able to provide a professional reference (unless progressing directly from our Level 2 Award in Counselling Skills)
What will you learn?
You will study and develop knowledge, understanding and skills in:
– using counselling skills ethically and safely
– establishing and sustaining boundaries (including time, confidentiality and role limitations)
– working empathetically as a helper
– focusing on the helpee’s needs and concerns
– using self awareness in helping work (including reflecting on your own personality, your own personal history, and your own patterns of relating to others)
– using a range of counselling skills (including listening and responding skills, questioning techniques and response timings)
– using feedback and reflection to enhance counselling skills
How will you learn?
What will you need to bring with you?
There are no additional costs associated with this course, and no specialist materials are required.
How will you be assessed?
You will complete an assignment and your tutor will observe, record and assess your skills in practice scenarios, alongside some peer-assessed and self-reviewed activity. There is also an external assessment which will be marked by the awarding body, CPBAC.
Completion of the Level 2 Certificate can lead to the Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills, which is the next step on the route to becoming a counsellor.
This qualification could lead to employment or enhance employability for those whose role is to support others in areas such as health and social care work, teaching and learning, advocacy and mediation, support and project work, and other helping roles.
It also provides additional skills for those already in employment so is likely to lead to increased opportunities for promotion and advancement.
Who do you contact for more information?
For more information contact Derby College on 0800 0280289 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Information for Employers
Information for Employers
This course could lead to one of these careers...
DCG Success Stories
Discover how our students have achieved success. Their hard work and dedication to learning has enabled them to succeed in rewarding careers or progress onto higher education.
We encourage progress and aspirational outcomes by guiding people onto learning pathways that lead to positive destinations. Our students have gone on to achieve great things since leaving the College. We would like to share some of their inspiring success stories with you.
Use our online application form to apply for this course.
Course Information Last Updated On: March 28, 2023 1:51 pm