A Derby College retail course can help you make your mark in this fast-moving industry. From sales to customer service, buying to merchandising, and management to logistics, the retail industry has something for everyone.
Almost three million people work in around 290,000 retail businesses in the UK - one in nine of the entire workforce.
By 2017 that figure is expected to rise to 3.3 million.
In Derbyshire alone there are more than 2,300 retailers employing over 37,000 people, so job prospects are good, even in challenging times.
The retail sector is young and energetic: a third of the retail workforce is under 25 years of age. So, if you're well organised, a good communicator, and enjoy working with people, the opportunities in retail go way beyond stacking shelves and ringing up tills.
Find Retail Courses
A retail course at Derby College can lead to a career as everything from a cashier to a fashion stylist, personal shopper or store manager. However, there are more opportunities in the retail sector, including in:
- Store operations - turning products into profits and ensuring excellent customer service.
- Buying - predicting tomorrow's tastes and trends, selecting and sampling from suppliers, attending trade shows and maybe even jetting around the world.
- Merchandising - using your savvy to ensure the right products are in the right place at the right time and acting as the link between buyers and the sales floor.
- Visual merchandising - unleashing your flair and creativity to create appealing store layouts and stunning window displays.
- Logistics - the essential task of getting goods from the factory to the front of store on schedule.
Derby College offers a broad range of retail courses. From the Level 1 Foundation Diploma to a Foundation Degree, you can enter at the level that suits you.
Many students use their Derby College qualification as a stepping stone to university courses in subjects like business management, marketing and fashion retail. We even offer our own part-time Foundation Degree in Retail Management and Leadership which can put you in prime position for a senior role.
Retail at Derby College
At Derby College we are proud to have excellent links with leading retail employers, both locally and nationally.
All retail teaching staff have experience in the industry, meaning all courses combine theory with highly practical industry-relevant learning.
We are a lead partner in the Derby Retail Skills Shop – one of the first of its kind in the country and a one-stop resource offering versatile skills training, business support and careers advice.
Retailers regularly call on our expertise to help train their staff, including masterclasses designed by the 'Queen of Shops' herself, Mary Portas.
Did you know?
You can test out your retail skills in our full-size mock shop at the Roundhouse campus. Along with specialist training rooms and full IT provision, we provide the very latest visual merchandising software for retail students.
Retail course brochure