Teacher Assessed Grades (TAGS) – Summer 2021

Every year there are students who are disappointed by the grade they achieve. If a student is disappointed with their grade, they may consider sitting exams in the autumn series.

If a student is concerned that their grade is wrong, ofqual have put an appeals process in place:

  1. If a student thinks their grade is wrong, they should first ask the college to check whether they made a mistake in determining or submitting the grade.
  2. If a mistake has been identified, the college can submit a revised grade to the exam board to consider.
  3. If no error has been identified, but a student still believes that the grade is wrong, they can ask the college to submit a formal appeal to the exam board. An appeal can be made for any of the following reasons:

If an appeal is submitted, the student will need to explain why they think the result was incorrect and should be changed.

The appeal questions whether the original decision was a reasonable one, and not whether other reasonable decisions could have been made.

A grade will only be changed if there was an error when determining or submitting the grade, or if the grade given could not have reasonably been reached based on the evidence presented. The grade may go up, go down, or remain the same.