International Students - Applications & Fees

You will be classed either as a home student or and international student. If you are a home student this means that the College can draw some sort of funding towards your course fees. For further information on home student fees please contact learner services at the relevant campus to your course.

If you are classed as an international student you will be required to pay the international fee rates for our courses. International fees are all payable in full before enrolment onto a course.

Before you are offered a place at the College we will expect you to present the International Office with a copy of your bank account statement which shows that you have held the required Home Office maintenance funds in your account for 28 days consecutively.

Once this has been satisfied you will be required to pay your fees in full via bank transfer to the following details:

  • Name of Bank: Lloyds Bank Plc:
  • Address: Irongate, Derby, DE1 3FT:
  • Account Number: 00003218:
  • Sort code: 30-92-59

If you need any further information please contact (01332) 387434

How to Apply as an International Student

  1. Choose the course you are interested in. A full list of courses is available on this website and in our prospectuses. If you need further advice you can contact a member of our International Team who will be happy to advise you on the most suitable course for you.
  2. When you have decided on a course, you can submit an application online. Online application forms are available at the bottom of each course information page of the website.
  3. International students also need to provide copies of qualifications and English certificates

Once we have received your application, we will contact you with further information regarding your application. We may ask you to submit any certificates or English Language qualifications to the International Team.

Arriving in the UK

Once you have been accepted to Derby College and your visa has been granted, it is very important for your safety that you let the College know when and where you are arriving in the UK.

E-mail: before you travel stating the airport you are going to land at as well as the date.

If you require help in transferring from your arrival airport to your accommodation then you should request this well in advance using the same e-mail. You may also need assistance in selecting appropriate short or long term accommodation and the earlier you begin your search the better.


When you are invited to enrolment you will need to bring with you the following documents:

  • CAS letter
  • Passport
  • Academic certificates
  • English certificate – IELTS
  • Your UK address
  • Phone number

For further information please refer to the guidance procedures:

International Induction Brochure
International Refund Policy
International Attendance Policy

International Student ToDo List

As an International student you will be required to show proof of your student status to various different people for different reasons.

All Derby College International students are entitled to apply for any of the required letters but only learners who have attended a minimum of 2 weeks’ worth of lessons with a minimum of 80% attendance rate will be issued with their letter. To make your request for a letter you must complete the International Document Request form.

As an International student you are required to maintain true and accurate details of your current address and contact information at all times. You can do this easily by completing the Update your details form.

Attendance and Progress

During your time at Derby College your progress is monitored by your tutors directly and feedback will be given to you via individual tutorials designed to help you achieve your individual goals. As well as this your progress will be monitored by the International Office through a system called Pro-Monitor. Learners must be deemed to be continually making progress on their course of study to remain learners at Derby College. If you are not deemed to be making sufficient progress you will be removed from the College and reported to the Home Office immediately.

Derby College maintains an 80% minimum attendance policy. Learners who repeatedly break this level of attendance without valid reason will also be removed from the College and reported to the Home Office. If you are reported to the Home Office your length of entitlement to study or remain and even work in the UK will be curtailed by the Home office.

Registering with a Doctor

Of course there may be a time when you become genuinely ill and in this scenario we require all of our international learners to have registered with a GP as soon as you secure your accommodation. All you need to do is call NHS direct on 0845 4647 and ask for the address of your nearest GP Practice. You do not need a letter from College to register with a GP. You should then go along in your own time to the Practice and complete the necessary registration steps to become a temporary patient. Once you are their patient you will be able to use the Practice if you are ill. You should always ask for a doctor’s note for your illness as this is the only way we can change your attendance from an absence to an authorised absence. The following NHS treatment is free for everyone:

  • Some emergency treatment
  • Family planning services
  • Treatment of certain communicable diseases
  • Compulsory psychiatric treatment
  • There is also an NHS Walk in Centre located on Osmaston Road Road in Derby, the centre offers medical care and treatment if you are not registered with a Doctor and you are unsure if you need to go to hospital. You should only visit the accident and emergency Department of a Hospital if you are in serious pain or have injured yourself, if in doubt call 111 or visit the Walk in Centre. For all other types of MAJOR Emergency you should call 999.

    Medical Insurance

    If your course is of a duration over 6 months you will be eligible for financial support in the case of medical requirements. This will only remain for the period which you are studying therefore it is advisable that you take out medical insurance to cover the costs in the case of your general cover expiring. For more information on this please visit the UKCISA website

    Registering with the Police

    On arrival some students may have to register with the Police within 7 days of arrival. Your visa in your passport will say whether you need to register with the police, if it does not mention anything then you do not need to register. If you are required to register then follow the below steps:

    Call the Police station – St Mary’s Wharf – 01332613080 and make an appointment to register yourself:

    • 2 passport sized photographs – per person
    • Letter of confirmation from the college
    • The exact fee which currently stands at £35

    College Rules

    • Derby College operates a strict no smoking rule in which smoking is not allowed in any part of any of the College campuses apart from the set designated area of which there is only one in each campus.
    • All hats must be removed upon entering a Derby College campus and appropriate clothing should be worn whilst on site.
    • Only Derby College students who complete their course with an 80% or higher attendance rate will be considered for a reference letter at the end of their course.
    • All Derby College learners are required to wear their ID badges at all times whilst on campus and failure to do so may mean removal from the campus. If you lose your ID badge you will be required to pay a small fee for a replacement.

    Working Rights

    Under the Terms of your visa you will not be allowed to work in the UK. We would advise no part time work at all as this will help you focus fully on achieving the most positive results during the time you are with us.

    In order to work in the UK your employer may ask for an employment letter from Derby College. You can apply for this by using the International letter application form as long as you satisfy our requirements for such a letter. You will also be required to apply for a National Insurance number. To do this you need to call this number: 08456000643. You will be asked to make an appointment with the Government Agency – Job Centre Plus.

    Learners on student visitor visas cannot work at all in the UK.


    If your course is over 3 months in length you may need to open a Bank Account. There are many banks operating in England but the most useful for International students at Derby College tend to be, Lloyds Bank, HSBC Bank & Natwest Bank. Many of these banks operate worldwide which may be a consideration for you and also many of these banks offer Islamic Accounts for which you just need to ask them.

    To open an account you will need:

    • Attend a minimum of 80% of your first two weeks of lessons
    • Passport, (with a stamp from the Police after registration if applicable)
    • Confirmation letter from college
    • Proof of address e.g. tenancy agreement letter from landlord/Agency addressed to the bank confirming your address
    • Possibly verification of address abroad

    Local Transport

    Derby has excellent links to other towns and cities in the United Kingdom either by rail or road. The railway station actual runs through our main flagship campus the Roundhouse. Should you wish to use a train to visit other places in the UK then you will need to purchase your ticket before you travel. Details of train times and destinations can be found at:

    The city also has a number of bus companies such as Arriva Midlands and trentbarton running from the city centre bus station covering many places such as the railway station, the hospital, etc. as well as an extensive network of bus routes covering the suburbs.

    More Travel Information »


Go to top