International Accommodation & Student Support

Derby College provides excellent support services for international students. Support is available throughout your time with us – including before you arrive, on arrival, during your course and also with progression onto further study.

All international students are assigned an individual contact. Your contact will guide you through the application process, track your progress throughout your course and be on hand to offer advice and guidance as needed.

When you arrive in Derby, our staff will lead you through the International Induction Programme, designed to help you adapt to the UK, Derby and Derby College.

Student Services and the Students Union also provide support for all students across the College.


Support is available to help you find accommodation before you arrive in Derby.

Derby has a large student rental market. Several options are available for international students, including renting a room in a shared house or flat, university accommodation or renting a property of your own.

Some popular accommodation options are explained in more detail below. Accommodation costs are given as an indication only.

Private Rentals

You can arrange accommodation through a private landlord. The College can provide you with the details of letting agents offering private rentals.

Private rental prices do not always include utility bills, and some are unfurnished. The majority of private rental properties require a month's rent in advance as a deposit.

Cost: Approximately £450 plus a month for the accommodation only. Food, utility bills and all household expenses are extra.

Hostels and Hotels

This type of accommodation is suitable for those who wish to stay for a shorter period of time, as it is the most expensive option.

If you wish to choose your own accommodation after your arrival in Derby, you might like to stay at a hotel as a temporary measure until you find permanent accommodation. The College can provide details of local hotels and hostels can upon request.

Cost: Approximately £65 plus on a bed and breakfast basis only. Additional costs to consider are lunch, evening meals and laundry.

Living Expenses

The Home Office recommends that students on Tier 4 visas have £5,400 per year to cover living expenses in the UK. Showing proof of living expenses to cover the duration of your study is now part of the Tier 4 visa application process.

While studying and living in Derby, your main living expenses will be accommodation, food and entertainment.

As a guide, you can expect to pay the following for entertainment in Derby:

  • Movie Ticket £6
  • Monthly Gym Pass £26
  • Football Match Ticket £30
  • Weekly Bus Pass £13
  • Swimming £5
  • Bowling £10
  • Fast Food Meal £5
  • Train to London – advance, off-peak £20


Go to top