ILM Award in Effective Coaching (Level 3)
This course is an ideal starting point for a career in coaching and invaluable for those in a job role where coaching skills are important, such as developing students, apprentices, colleagues or new employees in your organisation.
Course Information for Students
Who is this course for?
This qualification is designed for aspiring coaches seeking to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence to coach people as part of their normal role. It is an ideal starting point for a career in coaching or for those in a job role where coaching skills are important, such as developing students, apprentices, colleagues or new employees in your organisation.
- Learning about coaching as a powerful development tool
- Understanding the role and responsibilities of an effective coach
- Exploring different coaching models
- Developing practical skills, tools and techniques to support these models
- Putting your new skills into practice to carry out supervised coaching sessions
- Analysing, assessing and planning to improve your own coaching
All applicants must attend a bespoke information session and informal interview to discuss their qualifications, experience, workplace role, motivation and aspirations.
You need evidence of:
- A Level 2 English qualification (or screening at Level 2 if you do not have evidence of this)
- Achievement of at least a full Level 3 qualification or a demonstration of the ability to work at Level 3 (e.g. through experience/job role)
- Access to six hours coaching of employee(s) with supervision and support
- The capacity to attend eight classroom-based learning sessions during the programme, take part in a minimum of two tutorials and engage in one workplace visit/observation.
Independent study will be a core element of your learning and achievement on this course.
What will you learn?
This course introduces you to effective practice in workplace coaching, enabling you to develop skills, knowledge and professional behaviours holistically. The specific units are:
- Understanding Good Practice in Coaching within an Organisational Context (3 credits)
- Undertaking Coaching within an Organisational Context (4 credits)
- Reflecting on Coaching Skills within an Organisational Context (3 credits)
The course is delivered using a range of classroom-based learning activities and an observation of you in your own practice.
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered on-site.
What will you need to bring with you?
How will you be assessed?
Assessment is through coursework and a range of assessment methods are used. These include observations of your practice, self-evaluation, reflective tasks, written assignments, individual and group presentations. All assessment methods have been designed to focus on skills specific to the professional coach, while incorporating key transferable skills.
All assessments require you to apply theory to your own practice and you are expected to engage with academic research and learning theory in a manner commensurate with higher-level study.
You could progress into a coaching or mentoring role in the workplace, including in an educational setting, or into a work-based teaching and learning role such as assessor-coach.
This qualification may provide progression opportunities to other ILM qualifications such as the ILM Level 5 Certificate in Effective Coaching and Mentoring or in Leadership and Management.
For those delivering training or teaching, it can lead to teacher training, such as the PGCE (Level 7) or Certificate of Education (Level 5).
Who do you contact for more information?
For more information, contact Derby College Group on 0800 0280289 or email@example.com
Course Information for Employers
Information for Employers
This course could lead to one of these careers...
DCG Success Stories
Discover how our students have achieved success. Their hard work and dedication to learning has enabled them to succeed in rewarding careers or progress onto higher education.
We encourage progress and aspirational outcomes by guiding people onto learning pathways that lead to positive destinations. Our students have gone on to achieve great things since leaving the College. We would like to share some of their inspiring success stories with you.
Use our online application form to apply for this course.
Course Information Last Updated On: November 1, 2023 1:59 pm