Award in Education and Training – Level 3
Do you want to train to teach your subject-specialism or develop your training skills?
Course Information for Students
Who is this course for?
Do you want to train to teach your subject-specialism or develop your training skills? If you have limited or no experience of teaching or training and would like to achieve a gateway qualification, this Level 3 Award might be the right course for you. It could be the start of your journey towards a full qualification or, alternatively, it may be sufficient to enable you to perform your current teaching/training role.
Many colleges require all their newly appointed trainee teachers to achieve this qualification, and some awarding bodies stipulate it as a minimum requirement for delivering their courses. If you are employed in a training role, it will provide you with a toolkit for delivering engaging training sessions. It is also ideal for those planning or embarking on a career change. You will attend College on one evening per week.
Emphasis is placed on developing your practical skills, and a key element of the course requires you to plan and deliver a session to your peers, using feedback to evaluate and develop your practice.
- A skillset for delivering effective teaching or training sessions which motivate and enthuse
- A gateway qualification, which enhances your CV, evidences your commitment to achieving a teaching qualification, and builds your confidence
You need evidence of:
- A Level 3 qualification (minimum) in the subject you wish to teach (usually)
- A Level 2 qualification in English (or the ability to work at Level 2, evidenced through screening)
- Confidence in using standard ICT applications
To secure a place on this course, you must attend an information/interview session.
What will you learn?
This course is about preparing you to teach or extending your skills and knowledge to be effective in a teaching or training role. Much of the course is focused on supporting you to plan, deliver and evaluate a teaching session that you deliver to your peers. It is taught holistically and develops your knowledge, skills and professional understanding/behaviours simultaneously. Specific units are:
- Roles, responsibilities and relationships in education and training (3 credits)
- Understanding and using inclusive teaching and learning methods in education and training (6 credits)
- Assessment in education and training (3 credits)
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered on-site.
What will you need to bring with you?
You may need to provide your own resources when delivering your micro-teach.
How will you be assessed?
Assessment will include a series of tasks, some written and some practical. You will plan, deliver and evaluate a micro-teach session on an appropriate topic of your choosing to evidence City & Guilds outcomes. You will also have the opportunity to peer-assess other micro-teaches, share good practice and identify areas for improvement, adopting these into your own practice.
You will be fully equipped to deliver teaching and training that is inclusive and of good quality.
You will be able to seek or continue training or teaching in the sector: employers favour applicants with this qualification.
You could also progress to higher level teaching qualifications:
- Level 5 Certificate in Education (in partnership with the University of Derby) *
- Level 7 Postgraduate Certificate in Education (in partnership with the University of Derby) *
Please note – for those courses marked * you will need evidence of Level 2 English and Maths qualifications.
Other courses you may want to consider are:
- Level 3 Award in Coaching
- Level 5 Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring
- Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement
- An Internal Verifier Award (Level 4)
- Higher Apprenticeship – Learning and Skills Teacher – Level 5
- Higher Apprenticeship Assessor Coach – Level 4
- Apprenticeship – HE/FE Learning Mentor – Level 3
You may also want to consider subject-specific qualifications. Derby College Group offers a wide range of courses and qualifications to enable you to pursue and enhance your chosen career.
Who do you contact for more information?
For more information contact Derby College on 0800 0280289 or email@example.com
Course Information for Employers
Information for Employers
This course could lead to one of these careers...
Vocational and Industrial Trainers and Instructors
Other Teaching and Other Educational Professionals
Educational Support Assistants
DCG Success Stories
Discover how our students have achieved success. Their hard work and dedication to learning has enabled them to succeed in rewarding careers or progress onto higher education.
We encourage progress and aspirational outcomes by guiding people onto learning pathways that lead to positive destinations. Our students have gone on to achieve great things since leaving the College. We would like to share some of their inspiring success stories with you.
Use our online application form to apply for this course.
Course Information Last Updated On: November 17, 2022 3:52 pm