This course is designed for people wishing to pursue a career in the health and fitness sector as gym-based fitness instructors. It is the first year of a two-year programme towards qualifying as a Level 3 Personal Trainer.
This qualification must be achieved before moving on to study a Level 3 Personal Training qualification.
• Some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended.
• The course requires physical exertion, and individual participation is essential. Therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
• There is an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at Level 2.
Course content will cover:
Health and safety in the fitness environment
The skills to conduct client and group inductions in a gym-based environment and support exercise adherence and a healthy lifestyle
The skills to plan, instruct and supervise safe and effective exercise and physical activity sessions
Professionalism for fitness instructing
Personal and professional development
Delivering exceptional customer service.
• Multiple Choice Examination
• Portfolio of Evidence
• Practical Demonstration/Assignment/Assessment
This qualification provides progression to the:
Derby College offer sport, health and leisure facilities for public use. This includes fitness centre, sports hall and outdoor pitch hire plus lots more. Located at Broomfield Hall, Johnson Building and Mackworth.