« Go Back

Higher Diploma for Health and Social Care and Children's and Young People's Services - Level 5Apply Now »

Course Image
Level: 5

Location: Workplace

Years: 2

Weeks: 104


Start: Roll On Roll Off - Contact Us

Days / Times: Contact Us

Tuition (£): 0.00*

24+ Loan Amount: 3000.00****

Interview: Y

Course Summary

This programme is ideal if you are responsible for running a facility that provides services for vulnerable children, adults or both. You might be an assistant or deputy manager, or a manager who has not yet achieved a recognised vocational qualification at this level.

You will cover areas such as:

  • the assessment of individual needs
  • the planning and review of care programmes
  • procurement and tendering
  • risk management
  • effective governance
  • domiciliary care management.

Entry requirements

The City & Guilds Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care Services is not approved for learners under 19 years of age.

You should:

  • be working in a health and social care setting in a supervisory or management position
  • have a good standard of English
  • ideally have completed an NVQ 3 qualification in care.


Course Content

You will choose one of the following six pathways:

  • Children and Young People's Residential Management (England or Wales)
  • Children and Young People's Management (England or Wales)
  • Children and Young People's Advanced Practice (England or Wales and Northern Ireland)
  • Adults' Residential Management (England or Wales and Northern Ireland)
  • Adults' Management (England or Wales and Northern Ireland)
  • Adults' Advanced Practice (England or Wales and Northern Ireland).

All the pathways share five core units:

  • Use and develop systems that promote communication
  • Promote professional development
  • Champion equality, diversity and inclusion
  • Develop health and safety and risk management policies, procedures and practices in health and social care or children and young people's settings
  • Working in partnership in health and social care, and children and young people's settings.

Depending on the pathway you choose, you will complete a certain number of additional core units, as well as a range of optional units.

How will I be assessed?

You will be assessed at work. For each unit, your assessor watches and asks questions as you perform a task, or they may look at a portfolio of work that you have built as formal evidence of your learning. This will help confirm you've got the skills to do the job well.

Are there any additional costs or specialist equipment required?

Costs can be negotiable and a student loan can be obtained. The maximum cost is £3,000.

What can I do after this course?

You need to have this qualification to be a manager of adult residential and domiciliary services or children's homes.

The qualification can also help you work in roles such as:

  • Adult nurse
  • Care home manager
  • Care worker
  • Children's nurse
  • Health promotion/education specialist
  • Health service manager
  • Learning disability nurse
  • Mental health nurse
  • Nurse
  • Residential warden
  • Social worker
  • Supervisor/team leader
  • Volunteer manager
  • Youth and community worker
  • Care home manager.

If you'd like to advance further in your career, you may want to take a qualification that can help you work in a specialised area, such as the:

  • Level 4 NVQ in Advice and Guidance
  • Level 4 NVQ in Residential Childcare Managers
  • Level 4 Higher Professional Diploma in Inspecting Learning Disability Services
  • Level 4 Higher Professional Diploma in Health and Well Being
  • Level 4 Certificate in Working with Substance Misuse.




Did you find the course information on this page useful?


* Tuition - This figure is the fee to be paid if you are not entitled to any concessions.
*** Co-Tuition - This figure is the fee to be paid if you are entitled to any partial concessions.
**** Advanced Learner Loan: if you are aged 19 or over and want to study at Level 3, 4, 5 or 6, you could apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to help with the costs of your study. This is the fee that would need to be financed by a successful application for a loan. Alternatively, you or your employer could pay the fees directly.

Go to top