This qualification is designed for project managers, department heads and other practising middle managers. It will develop your skills and experience, improve your performance and help you prepare for senior management responsibilities.
Benefits for the individual
• Use core management techniques to drive better results
• Develop your ability to lead, motivate and inspire
• Provide strategic leadership as well as day-to-day management
• Benchmark your managerial skills
• Raise your profile in your organisation
Benefits for the employer
• Encourage strategic thinking at this level of management to foster business improvement
• Engage middle managers with training and development – this qualification is designed to provide clear, measurable
benefits to career-minded professionals
• Customise this qualification to your development needs
There are no mandatory units and a wide range of optional units. Learners must attain a minimum of 13 credits and no more than 36 credits to achieve this qualification.
All ILM learners receive a minimum of 12 months membership of the Institute of Leadership and Management, which provides access to a range of resources that support their leadership development.
You will have an interview with a course tutor.
Each unit in this qualification focuses on a specific set of skills and knowledge in six broad areas:
• Working with people – a range of units including how to deal effectively with stress and conflict, manage remote workers and build excellent customer relations
• Managing yourself and personal skills – including units that focus on assessing your own leadership performance and developing critical thinking
• Providing direction – such as leading teams to achieve organisational goals and objectives, and making strong and informed management decisions
• Facilitating innovation and change – for example, by building a culture of continued improvement and leading people through change
• Achieving results – such as managing for efficiency and effectiveness, and managing projects that get results
• Using resources – including managing facilities and managing information
You will be assessed via written assignments.
This qualification will provide progression opportunities to other qualifications including the:
Derby College student Sukhveer Singh Dhadwal is planning to study for a business degree abroad after successfully completing his Level 3 Advanced Extended Diploma in Business. Sukhveer, who is 19 and from Littleover, would very much like to take his degree at a university in the USA or Canada – and believes that going to Derby College, has given him the impetus to pursue his career goals.Sukhveer's main ambition is to be his own boss, which is why, after gaining A levels in psychology, chemistry, biology and geology at sixth form college, he went on to study business. Sukhveer, who got the idea of studying overseas after visiting Miami University last year, is considering applying to universities in California and possibly the University of Alberta in Canada. He is unsure exactly which subject he would like to take, but is keen to gain a degree relevant to business such as accountancy or economics. Ultimately he would like to start his own business in the States or Canada in a tech-related field such as gadgets.
He said: "Going to Derby College has helped inspire me. Unlike sixth form college you're encouraged to take more responsibility for yourself.
"Studying in the USA or Canada will be a great adventure and going to Derby College has taught me to be so much more independent." I've talked through my university plans with my tutors and they've helped me find links to overseas courses etc."